Emergency & Non-Emergency
Making an Appointment at Grand River Medical Group
When seeing your physician, an appointment is required. In order to serve you better, we have three special phone lines devoted to non-emergency appointment scheduling. To schedule an appointment during normal business hours call:
Family Practice Clinic (563) 583-9300
Multi-specialty Clinic (563) 557-9111
Pediatrics Clinic (563) 557-5911
We understand there are situations where you need to see your physician on a more urgent basis. On these occasions, we ask that you follow this procedure:
If you want to be seen today
- Call one of the office numbers above, depending on which clinic you are looking for, and request an appointment.
- If you are a current Grand River Medical Group patient, every effort will be made for you to see your usual physician. However, because of schedules and emergencies, this is not always possible. For this reason, one of the physicians at Grand River Medical Group is always "on-call" so that he or she can see patients with urgent medical problems.
- A receptionist will give you the next available opening in the physician's schedule. If this appointment time is not satisfactory or you are uncertain about whether or not you should wait for the appointment, you should ask to talk to a nurse. After listening to your symptoms and consulting with our physicians (when necessary), you may be advised to do one of the following: go to the hospital emergency room, wait for your scheduled appointment time or try something at home without coming into the office to see the doctor.
If you want to be seen sometime in the future but cannot wait until your physician's first available opening in the schedule.
- Ask to talk to your physician's nurse to discuss the nature of your problem.
- If we cannot work you into your physician's schedule, you may be asked to see a different physician who can accommodate your needs.
If you want medical advice but do not want to be seen by a physician.
- Call one of the office numbers above, depending on which clinic you are looking for, and
- You will be referred to a nurse (either to your physician's nurse or to another nurse in our office). The nurse will review your problem and give you advice or consult with a physician.
- If your question cannot be answered immediately, we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.
- If you anticipate being at a location with a different phone number, please let us know so we can reach you. Depending on your symptoms and the best judgment of our health care team, you may be asked to either come to the office or go to the hospital emergency room.
If you have a medical emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
If a circumstance arises where you are unable to keep your appointment, please let us know as soon as you can.